A plaque remaining from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem.

Above, a 1934 plaque from the Big Apple Night Club at West 135th Street and Seventh Avenue in Harlem. Discarded as trash in 2006.

Recent entries:
“A BuzzFeed writer walks into a bar…” (bar joke) (10/15)
“Why did the cactus cross the road?"/"It was stuck to the chicken.” (10/15)
Entry forthcoming—B.P. (10/15)
Entry forthcoming—B.P. (10/15)
“I was trying to remember what it’s called when you mix coffee and ice cream, but affogato!” (10/15)
More new entries...

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


Entry from November 16, 2007
Where Quality Meets Life (Pflugerville slogan)

"Where Quality Meets Life” has been the slogan of the city of Pflugerville since 2005. Pflugerville is a rapidly growing suburb of Austin, the capital of Texas. Other slogans considered were “Homes and Dreams” and “Good for Life.”

Pflugerville is often called simply P-ville.


Pflugerville Texas Official Website
where quality meets life

Welcome to Pflugerville!
A crossroads in time and location. Eager to embrace technology and new business, the City of Pflugerville is a community melding a rich German heritage with today’s upcoming technology and business opportunities.  Proudly representing concerned citizens, dedicated volunteers and city employees who care, Pflugerville, Texas is situated in the heart of central Texas just 12 minutes from downtown Austin.  We are glad you have stopped in to visit.  Come back anytime! 

Wikipedia: Pflugerville, Texas
Pflugerville (pronounced IPA: /ˈfluːgɚvɪl/) is a city in Travis County, Texas, United States. The population was 16,335 at the 2000 census, but the 2005 census estimate shows the city’s population increased to 27,531. 

Handbook of Texas Online
PFLUGERVILLE, TEXAS. Pflugerville is on Farm Road 1825 fifteen miles north of Austin in northeastern Travis County. It was named for Henry Pfluger, who brought his family to the area from Germany in 1849. A community did not develop at the site until after the Civil War. Residents established a school in 1872 and a Lutheran church in 1875. A post office opened at the community in 1893 with Louis Bohls as postmaster. By the mid-1890s Pflugerville had a population of 250. It also had a small assortment of businesses, though residents did their banking and shipping in Round Rock, eight miles northwest in Williamson County. In 1904 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line completed its track between Georgetown and Austin, passing just outside of Pflugerville; within ten years the Pflugerville population had doubled to 500. The Press, a weekly newspaper, was published at Pflugerville from 1907 to 1942. In the early 1920s several area school districts consolidated with the Pflugerville high school. The community’s population declined after World War II as people moved to Austin and other cities; by 1949 the number of residents at Pflugerville had fallen to 380. Pflugerville began to grow slowly in the 1960s and at that time was incorporated. Its population rose to 452 by 1968 and to 662 by 1980. From 1980 through 1988 new development in Pflugerville made it the fastest-growing community in the state; its population estimates by the late 1980s were as high as 3,900. The sudden boom was slowed considerably by the recession of the late 1980s, but population estimates, reported at 4,444 in 1990, indicated that growth was continuing. The population reached 16,335 by 2000. A weekly newspaper called the Pflugerville Pflag began publication in 1980.

Pflugerville Texas Official Website
City Council - Minutes - August 22, 2006
(...)
Presentation by Deborah Pfluger, Vice-President - Marketing Services of Staats, Falkenberg & Partners, Inc. of Positioning Lines for City-wide rebranding.  Ms. Pfluger presented three positioning lines for consideration later in the Council meeting: “Where quality meets life,” “Homes and dreams,” and “Good for life.”

Metroblogging Austin
Austin too expensive for itself
posted by M.J.L. Kellogg at 3:47 PM on October 12, 2007

It’s now official. This is the quote of the week, as reported today in the local daily (byline Kate Alexander): “We just couldn’t afford to be right in the middle of downtown.” Yes; the City will spend $6.9 million to buy the Home Depot that has been northeast Austin’s unofficial day-labor center and there it plans to place Municipal Court and some unknown portion of APD, which currently houses its headquarters in the same building as Municipal Court. Why not just move all municipal and county functions to Pflugerville? Once known chiefly as the home of nearly innumerable people with the surname of Pfluger, it now bills itself as “Where Quality Meets Life” and is a rapidly growing haven for those who find Austin quarters too expensive these days.

Posted by Barry Popik
Texas (Lone Star State Dictionary) • (0) Comments • Friday, November 16, 2007 • Permalink