"Where Dallas goes for fun” has been the slogan of Addison since at least 1999, appearing on key chains and T-shirts and mugs. Addison has many restaurants and hotels that attract business from nearby Dallas.
Handbook of Texas Online
ADDISON, TEXAS. Addison is on Belt Line Road, the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, and Dallas North Tollway thirteen miles north of downtown Dallas in northern Dallas County and southern Collin County. The area was first settled by Peters colony residents in the 1840s. The first prominent settlers in the area were Preston and Pleasant Witt, who settled on White Rock Creek and built an ox-powered gristmill by 1849. In 1888 W. W. Julian, W. E. Horten, and S. S. Noell donated right-of-way to the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway in exchange for a coaling station, later known as Noell Junction. After the railroad arrived, several buildings were moved from nearby Frankford to the railway station.
In 1970 Addison had a population of 595 and eighty businesses; by 1980 it had 5,553 residents and 263 businesses. The town took a number of measures to promote industrial development and lose its small-town image. Residents voted to legalize alcoholic beverages in 1976, unlike the majority of the communities in Dallas County, to attract restaurants and hotels. In addition, Addison attracted businesses by a property-tax rate that was only one-sixth that of Dallas. The major industries in Addison were the airport and manufacturers and suppliers of aviation equipment. Addison’s 189 businesses in 1974 included manufacturers of plastics, rubber and metal products, and pharmaceutical products. In 1990 the town had a population of 8,783 and 251 businesses. As of 2000 the town’s population grew to 14,166 with 1,981 businesses. Area office buildings and restaurants served a daily population of 50,000. From 1986 to 1991 the number of restaurants grew from forty-nine to 118 and the number of hotels from five to nine.
Also known as “Restaurant Row”, or “Where Dallas Goes for Fun”, Addison is a township of about 12,000. It began its roots in about 1846 with the settlement of Preston Witt. Although the city wasn’t incorporated until much later (1953), name “Addison” derives from the town’s 2nd Postmaster, Addison Robertson, who served from 1908-1916.
The first industry in Addison was the Pistole brother’s cotten gin. It was built on Addison Road.
In 1957, construction of the Addison Airport (ADS) was completed under the direction of Henry Stuart. The airport was later sold to the town in 1986. As is stands, Addison Airport is the busiest airport in Texas, and roughly the third or fourth busiest general aviation airport in the nation.
The Town of Addison allowed liquor to be served by the drink in 1975, thus introducing a large boom in business and restaurant development.
Today, Addison is known for its restaurants, currently holding the record for the most restaurants per capita for all cities west of the Mississippi River (hence the nickname “Restaurant Row").
Addison: Where Dallas Goes For Fun Keychain
Buy new: $8.95
Addison: Where Dallas Goes For Fun Mug
Buy new: $11.95
Google Groups: fido7.ru.internet.halyava
From: German Gurkov
3. ADDISON! Texass.
Where Dallas Goes For Fun.
Texas (Lone Star State Dictionary) • (0) Comments • Saturday, January 27, 2007 • Permalink