Entry in progress—B.P.
Wikipedia: 23 Wall Street
23 Wall Street or “The Corner” is an office building formerly owned by J.P. Morgan & Co. (later the Morgan Guaranty Trust Company) located at the southeast corner of Wall Street and Broad Street, in the heart of New York City’s Financial District.
Designed by Trowbridge & Livingston, started in 1913 and completed in 1914, the somewhat inscrutable building was so well-known as the headquarters of J.P. Morgan & Co., the “House of Morgan”, that it was deemed unnecessary to mark the exterior with the Morgan name. The building is known for its beautiful classicizing architecture and formerly for its well-appointed interior, including a massive crystal chandelier and English oak paneling.
Even though property prices in that area are very high, the building was purposely constructed to a height of four stories only; the contrast to the surrounding high-rises is reinforced by the astylar exterior, rendered as a single high piano nobile over a low basement, with a mezzanine above, and an attic storey above the main cornice. The plain limestone walls are pierced by unadorned windows in deep reveals. The foundations were constructed deep and strong enough in order to support a forty-story tower should the need arise in future.
Across the street from this building is the New York Stock Exchange and Federal Hall. Directly outside are entrances to the Broad Street station on the BMT Nassau Street Line of the New York City Subway.
This building and 15 Broad Street were sold in 2003 for $100 million. The two buildings have become a condominium development, Downtown by Philippe Starck, named for French designer Philippe Starck, one of a growing number of residential buildings in the Financial District. Starck made the roof of 23 Wall into a garden and pool, accessible to the residents of the development.
New York City • Buildings/Housing/Parks • (0) Comments • Sunday, June 27, 2010 • Permalink