"Globe Square” was named in 1911 after The Globe newspaper (also called The New York Evening Globe and The Globe and Commercial Advertiser, located at Dey Street, from Greenwich Street to West Street, in Manhattan. The Globe was bought in 1923 and merged into the New York (NY) Sun.
The Globe‘s offices were taken over by the New York (NY) Telegram and Evening Mail, and the name “Globe Square” was changed to “Telegram Square” in 1924. The Telegram newspaper merged with The World to become the World-Telegram, and it moved to offices further uptown in the early 1930s. “Telegram Square” technically continued to have that name until the 1960s, when the area was demolished for construction of the World Trade Center.
Other squares named after newspapers include Herald Square (after the New York Herald), Times Square (after the New York Times) and Times Plaza (after the Brooklyn Daily Times).
Globe Square. (E20) Dey Street from Greenwich to West Streets. See also Telegram Square.
Telegram Square. (E-M20) Prior to 1941, the part of Dey Street between Greenwich and West Streets. It was later demapped for the World Trade Center.
Wikipedia: The New York Globe
The New York Globe was a daily New York City newspaper published from 1904 to 1923, when it was bought and merged into the New York Sun.
The Globe, also called The New York Evening Globe, was launched on February 1, 1904. It was a wholly revamped one-cent version of the two-cent paper known as the Commercial Advertiser which dated back to 1793. The official name of the new paper was The Globe and Commercial Advertiser, though it was more typically referred to as the Globe.
Wikipedia: New York Evening Telegram
The New York Evening Telegram was a New York City daily newspaper. It was established in 1867. The newspaper was published by James Gordon Bennett, Jr., and it was said to be considered to be an evening edition of the New York Herald.
Frank Munsey acquired the Telegram in 1920, which ceased its connection to the Herald. It merged into the New York Evening Mail in 1924. Eventually, it was merged into the New York World-Telegram.
Proceedings of the Board of Aldermen of the City of New York
New York, NY: Published by authority of the Board of Aldermen
Pg. 461 (December 5, 1911):
The Committee on Streets, Highways and Sewers, to which was referred on October 31, 1911 (Minutes, page 135), the annexed resolution in favor of designating the space in Dey st., between Greenwich st. and the North River, in the borough of Manhattan, as “Globe Square,” respectfully ...
17 December 1911, Duluth (MN) News Tribune, pg. 16, col. 7:
GLOBE SQUARE LATEST ONE IN NEW YORK
NEW YORK, Dec. 16.—Mayor Gaynor signed today the ordinance passed by the aldermen designating the two blocks in Dey street adjacent to The Globe’s new building stands as “Globe Square.”
The ordinance was introduced by Alderman William Drescher of the First district. Borough President McAneny will have signs put up designating the new square.
There are now three traffic centers in the city named after newspapers—Times Square, Herald Square, and Globe Square.
26 March 1912, The Caucasian (Shreveport, LA), “Round the Globe,” pg. 4, col. 4:
Globe square, two blocks in Dey street, New York, adjoining the new building of the Globe newspaper, takes its place with Herald square and Times square in the big city’s official nomenclature by the grace of the aldermen and Mayor Gaynor.
Old Fulton NY Post Cards
4 April 1924, New York (NY) Telegram and Evening Mail, pg. 6, col. 7:
GLOBE SQUARE NOW TELEGRAM SQUARE
Mayor Hylan Signs Resolution Making Change in Name.
Google News Archive
5 April 1924, Meriden (CT) Morning Record, pg. 9, col. 2:
Change Globe Square
To Telegram Square
New York, April 4—The last visible vestige of the New York Globe passed into oblivion today when Mayor Hylan signed an alderman’s resolution changing the name of “Globe square” in the lower section of the city to “Telegram square.”
The Globe was purchased by Frank A. Munsey and consolidated with the New York Sun while the New York Telegram, also owned by Mr. Munsey, recently acquired the New York Mail and is now published under the composite name. The square extends from Greenwich street to the Hudson river.
The Flesh and Messrs. Pulitzer
By James Wyman Barrett
New York, NY: The Vanguard Press
The Evening World and The Telegram would be merged.
In the dingy Telegram plant in old Globe Square, the World Telegram forms have already been prepared.
2 November 1935, Evansville (IN) Courier, “On Broadway” by Walter Winchell, pg. 6, col. 8:
Observation by a reader: “Well, New York’s a great city, even if the sun doesn’t rise until the afternoon, and the Telegram is published several miles from Telegram Square.”
Untapped Cities—New York
The Artist Who Captured Early 20th Century NYC: 15 Sketches by Vernon Howe Bailey
12/07/2015 at 10:00 am
by jeff reuben
3. Globe Square
In the tradition of Times and Herald Squares, Dey Street west of Greenwich Street was co-named Globe Square by the City in 1911 in honor of the New York Globe and Commercial Advertiser newspaper, which had its headquarters there. After the Globe closed and the New York Evening Telegram moved into the old Globe building, the City renamed the area Telegram Square in 1924.
This entire area was cleared for the construction of the original World Trade Center in the 1960s and today the 9/11 Memorial Museum stands in the approximate location of Globe Square.