The slogan was supposedly first used in the 1830s and taken from a tavern. From 1917-1952, the Sun was published on Chambers Street, opposite city hall. A clock at the corner of Broadway and Chambers still bears the Sun name and slogan.
Press releases insist that the new Sun's distinctive mission is to give "a priority focus to the city it serves," and this turns out to be the larger significance of the name. While the masthead reaffirms the traditional motto, "it shines for all" (which the original editor had appropriated from a much older tavern sign from across the East River), emphasizing the democratic function of the newspaper as a source of illumination for the masses, advertisements for the new Sun opt for a more Copernican gloss.
Originally built in 1846 by New York merchant Alexander Turney Stewart as a dry-goods emporium, the seven-story wood-framed building was the city's first Italianate commercial structure. The property at 280 Broadway, with its distinctive marble facade, was also the headquarters of the original New York Sun newspaper from 1917 until 1952.
On the corner of Broadway and Chambers Street, a clock that bears the motto "The Sun: It Shines For All" is a reminder of the building's 35 years as a newspaper office.
Benjamin Day, a 23-year-old printer, launched his NEW YORK SUN on September 3, 1833. With its motto -- "The Sun Shines for All" -- Day's newspaper offered a new kind of story for a new kind of reader.
Media/Newspapers/Magazines/Internet • (0) Comments • Wednesday, February 16, 2005 • Permalink