Lindale (near Tyler) has the motto “Good Country Living.” Lindale is a small town that holds an annual CountryFest.
Wikipedia: Lindale, Texas
Lindale is a town in Smith County, Texas, United States and part of the metropolitan area of Tyler, TX. The population was 2,954 at the 2000 census. Its motto is “Good Country Living.”
Lindale Economic Development Corporation
History – Established in 1871 along the Tyler to Mineola railroad, Lindale was named for Elija Lindsey, first merchant in the area, who was the brother-in-law of Governor Richard B. Hubbard, who owned a plantation west of the city site. Lindale is due west of Steen Saline (salt wells or mines) where 3000 men were employed during the Civil War supplying salt to the Confederate Army. Lindale is just south of the Vial – Fragoso Trail (historic marker north on CR 431 at CR 452 6 miles north of Lindale) which was a trade route blazed in 1788 from Santa Fe, NM to Nachitoches, LA. The trail later became a cattle drive trail, then a stage coach route, and finally the main Dallas to Shreveport Road prior to the construction of US 80. By 1888, the fruit growing and canning industries flourished in the area, and by 1900 Lindale was known as the “fruit and berry center” of Texas.
Today, Lindale is the home of many rose fields where a large percentage of the Tyler roses are grown and processed for shipment. The local motto of “Good County Living” is celebrated the second Saturday in October with the Chamber of Commerce’s CountryFest. In 1998, Lindale became home to the largest “tilt wall construction” building in the U.S. which is the 1.6 million square foot Target Distribution Center on Interstate 20.
Handbook of Texas Online
LINDALE, TEXAS. Lindale is on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and U.S. Highway 69 ten miles north of Tyler in northwestern Smith County. The site, originally part of the Thomas Burbridge survey, was settled as early as 1873, when the Lyndale post office opened with John M. Davis as postmaster. The next year the spelling was changed to Lindale, and in 1875 the settlement became a station on the new International-Great Northern Railroad.
Texas (Lone Star State Dictionary) • (0) Comments • Saturday, January 27, 2007 • Permalink